Pages

Monday 16 December 2019

S.L.J (day 1) Explorers 2: discovering Aotearoa


This blog post is about my cultural background but since its cyber smart ill try not to get to much into personal details

I am both Samoan and cook island. My mother being full Cook Island came from arorangi and plays netball with her island friends. My dad on the other hand is Samoan and works on computers and other devices.They both were born in New Zealand and taken to various areas in the world. Me being there older child being there child enjoy both sports and experimenting with hardware and sports,and like I said in the beginning I am both Samoan and cook island.

One of the traditional things we do is Christmas. We call it something different but our last name is there so we are gonna call it Christmas. For this we wait on Christmas Eve until Christmas day is here for us to open our presents. We do get a range of food and when we finish we grab all the foods we like such as fish or poke(its technically bananas but pronounced poh-keh). We also have kids sorted into age groups so its easier to buy presents. Though what makes this tradition more important to me than my own birthday is my people. Its the one time we all come together and hang out for a day. Im positive that other people agree that its amazing to be surrounded with family members that dont visit as often as others.

(im stopping there cause I already shared myself and my parents culture)
Yes that is basically me and my parents culture! its kinda awkward sharing to the world my culture because well I dont want to get to much in detail but this is all the things you need to know. Thanks for reading this and finding what I have gained from my parents. Also if you have time check out Rosalili from Panmure bridge school her discovering Aotearoa is amazing so check her blog post in the link below!


4 comments:

Erica said...

Morena Eden,

It is lovely meeting you! I am so excited that you are joining us for the Summer Learning Journey 2019-2020. Have you done this programme before?

This is my first year joining the Summer Learning Journey, and I am so excited that I get to read over the Manaiakalani blogs.

I’m really looking forward to summer, aren't you? In my spare time I like spending time at the beach and hanging out with my friends. I also enjoy going for walks and I absolutely love cooking and baking. What are you looking forward to doing this summer?

Good job on being cyber smart! I'm glad you're being aware of this while posting on the internet. What a great blog post. I really liked the way you described both of your parents cultures and explained how they positively influence you :). Sounds like your family has a wonderful Christmas together. What is your favourite activity your family does on Christmas together?

Had you thought about creating an image to support your blog post? I'd love to see an example of what poke looks like. Sounds delicious! :)

My background is made up of mainly Pakeha and Irish. One day I'd love to travel to Ireland to learn more about my culture.

Can’t wait to read more of your blogs! Keep up the great work :)

Nga mihi
Erica

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello Erica

Your comment is amazing thank you so much! I also have done this program last year but now since i'm becoming a college student I thought that what better way to prepare college then to do a program that encourages learning in the holidays?

I'm also glad your excited about the Manaiakalani blog posts! Check some previous and future blog posts, I acknowledge others who have also done the activity!

I'm not really looking forward to the summer because that means I leave Glen Innes but I love my school. So its more of a sad but ok time for me this summer. I'm glad you like baking! if you'd like you can always ask me for a new desert recipe! I don't mind helping ^^

Poke comes in a lot of different forms but I couldn't find a good photo on the internet...so I couldn't add anything. Sorry but thank you for your comment and your support towards children education.

bye
from Eden

SLJ Manaiakalani Cluster said...

Kia ora Eden

This is Jordan from the SLJ team - Erica just shared this post with me because she was so impressed by it.
I'm really happy to read that you understand how much this programme helps you with your education!

I love being around my whānau during Christmas so can totally relate to how it's important to you. In saying that, I hope that you have a really lovely Christmas and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts over the summer.

Ngā mihi

Jordan

Post a Comment